As 2016 was winding down I felt like I was one of the only bloggers without a “Word for the Year,” Then, in the final hours, it came to me in the shower – only THE single-most inspiring space in my house. My word for 2017 is really two words: Open Doors. Ever since these words popped into my head and I claimed them as my own, it seems that doors have been flying open all over the place. Either that or I have more awareness of the opportunities before me.
Following are some highlights of What I learned in January:
1. Hubby and I got a chance to go to the NFL playoff game in January, Seattle at Atlanta, and we had a great time meeting and cheering with other Seahawks fans. When my beloved team lost I was sad, yet I learned that Atlanta fans are very gracious. Now I’ll admit that part of that could be that it’s hard to be rude to senior citizens who are dressed from head to toe in action green and Seahawk blue. Anyway, because of their GREAT Southern hospitality I’m cheering the Falcons on to victory in the Superbowl this Sunday.2. The same weekend we visited Augusta to observe a liturgy given by one of hubby’s friends who recently became a Priest in the Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (AKA the church of Malabar Syrian Catholics). Oh boy did I learn a lot there! Mostly because of my mistakes.
Here they are:
- I sat on the men’s side of the church.
- I didn’t take off my shoes
- I didn’t wear a head covering.
On the plus side:
- The people of the church were very gracious to me, several times showing me where to follow along in the prayer book (I kept losing my place because it wasn’t in English).
- These are a very devout people, standing for much of the 2-1/2 hour long service to read Scripture aloud.
- The church members are extremely close, truly like family. This probably comes from the many hours spent together in church during a typical weekend service.
- The people of this church were very warm and welcoming, even after all my mistakes.
I came away thinking on the many different “flavors” of Christian churches and how, no matter how we worship, it is the heart of the believer that God looks at, not at the style of worship, or outward dress. It was a very good day with new friends.2. Speaking of appearances, on the referral of my dear friend Holly Solomon Barrett, I learned that I will have the opportunity to speak at an event to benefit New Beginnings in Winchester, Kentucky in March (Yes, open doors). A big plus for me is that this Luncheon is also a Fashion Gala and Auction! How could I possibly resist food, fashion, and shopping all in the same place? Of course I will be looking for something new to wear. What do you think of the above outfit?3. We had our first Dinner for Eight or as we are calling it, our “Open Doors” dinner (a new thing we will be trying to do once a month) with three other couples this past Saturday night. I learned new things about everyone, especially when we played an icebreaker game called The LYING Game. I won hands down which either means I’m a really good liar or a really good story teller. Seems the truth of my life sounded stranger than fiction to the people around the table. 🙂
4. During January I finished reading (studying, pouring over, meditating on, crying through) the BEST BOOK I’VE EVER READ IN MY LIFE, The Broken Way, by Ann Voskamp. The BEST! REALLY! In fact, I should have applied to be on her launch team because I don’t think anyone could love this book more than I do. I will read it again and again. Don’t you think it’s great how her words about being “the good thing to happen to someone else” goes along with my open doors theme too?
Those are a few highlights of What I Learned in January. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read. Cheers to February!
I’ve been known to link up to the following great parties!!!
IShouldBeMoppingTheFloor, TheDedicatedHouse, Dwellings, ProjectInspired, InspireMeMonday, BetweenNapsOnThePorch, CelebrateYourStory, Making Your Home Sing Mondays, What Joy is Mine/Monday Musings, Darling Downs Diaries, The Art of Homemaking, SmallWonder, MomentsOfHope, Glimpses, SittingAmongFriends
TalkOfTheTown, HomeStoriesAtoZ, AStrollThruLife, CoastalCharm, CedarHillFarmhouse, TuesdaysAtOurHome, TheWinthropChronicles, Rich Faith Rising Unite Linky, Testimony Tuesday,Cheerleaders of Faith,Tell His Story
SavvySouthernStyle, Posed Perfection, A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, Woman to Woman Word Filled Wednesdays, ChristianBloggerLinkup, Mom’s Morning Coffee, Women with Intention, Coffee for Your Heart, MessyMarriage, ThreeWordWednesday
ShareYourStyle, ImpartingGrace, EmbracingChange, HaveADailyCupOfMrsOlson, MyRepurposedLife, ADelightsomeLife, KatherinesCorner, I Choose Joy, Thought Provoking Thursday, SincerelyPaulas, ThankfulThursdays, ThoughtfulThursday
FrenchCountryCottage, TheCharmOfHome, RootedInThyme, TheDedicatedHouseAnythingBlueFriday, ShabbyliciousFriday, Sweet Inspiration, Faith’nFriends, Missional Women Faith Filled Fridays, Dance With Jesus