Hi readers! I’m so excited that the Seahawks have made it to the next round of the playoffs and are playing the Panthers in my home territory tomorrow. I’ve been wearing my Seahawks colors proudly and plan to put my great BIG 12th man flag out in the front yard for the game tomorrow. It will probably not even be noticed as this is more of a college ball town anyway.
So here is the official Recipe of the Week for the Home of the 12s Facebook page. This recipe is taken from Cooking Light Diet and goes along with my New Year’s resolution to lose a few pounds and get in shape. I don’t normally do a lot of recipes on this blog but have been kept hopping lately as the Seahawks just keep pushing on through. Let’s hope that I’ll be back with more next week!
Chicken Bacon Mac ‘n Cheese
- 6 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups prechopped broccoli florets
- 3 bacon slices, chopped
- 12 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1-1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 oz. sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1-1/4 cups)
- Preheat broiler to high. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add broccoli to pan during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Cook bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or until browned. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon, reserve 1-1/2 tsp. drippings in skillet. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook chicken in hot drippings 4 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Sprinkle with turmeric; cook, stirring often, 30 seconds.
- Whisk rogetehr milk, stock, four, and remaining salt; add to skillet. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pasta mixture and 2 oz. cheese. Top with bacon and remaining cheese. Broil 2 minutes.
Chicken Bacon Mac ‘n Cheese
Serves: 6-8 servings
Amount Per Serving:
1-1/3 cups per serving
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12.2g fat||18.5%|
|Saturated Fat 6.5g||30%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||10.3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
OLD THINGS NEW
Seahawks vs. Panthers tomorrow. What a game that will be!
TheDIYShowoff, LifeOnLakeshoreDrive, NiftyThriftyThings, SilverPenniesSundays, SundaysAtHome, RusticAndRefined, Spiritual Sundays, Sunday Stillness
TheInspirationGallery, Still Saturday, The Weekend Brew, Recommendation Saturday, Make My Saturday Sweet
This looks delicious! I may make it for the Bronco game on Sunday! Enjoy the game!
Rita C at Panoply says
Talk about serendipity, Patti (at least that’s what I’d call it) – first, your home team will be playing in your new home state! Second, I was actually on my walk with my husband this morning, thinking of replicating Applebee’s bacon mac & cheese with honey pepper chicken. Your recipe shared today will be pinned as an even better substitute (no coating on the chicken) – it looks delish! Have a great weekend, and go Hawks!
Sounds wonderful! Pinning.
Sharon H says
Yum, this sounds good Patti……your Seahawks gave it an amazing effort…. ;(
Diane | An Extraordinary Day says
This recipe really is a new twist on Mac n Cheese, Patti! I know turmeric is good for you, but I would never have thought to add it to a dish like this. Did you love it? It’s looks deeelish!
I’m so sorry your beloved team did not win their game. 🙁
Looks delicious! I love quick and wholesome meals like these. Thanks for sharing!
I love that you have broccoli in your Mac and Cheese I do that with Chicken Alfredo but never thought to do it Mac and Cheese. Thanks for sharing on Strangers and Pilgrims.
This looks super yummy! I hope you can stop by:
Hello, I am putting together a roundup of recipes for Valentine’s Day and I would love to feature your mac and cheese as it is definitely one of mine and my husbands favorite go to meals. WIth your permission I would use one of your photos and would provide a link to this post so that my readers may visit your blog and make this awesome recipe. Thanks for your response!
I’m always looking foe new twists on recipes and I love this one !!!! We eat a lot of chicken at our house so this is a keeper recipe for us. Thanks for sharing.
Kristina & Millie says
oh my like all grown up mac and cheese! love it and will be making this. BTW, sorry our Panthers whooped your Seahawks. 🙂 Hope you won’t hold it against us!
Patti, Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing with us at Brag About IT! Pinned and tweeted to share.
I love that you added chicken and bacon to the mac and cheese! Sounds so comforting and tasty! Found you on the BWT party & am your newest Twitter follower!
This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog hop!
Mother of 3 says
This looks and sounds so yummy! We’re actually having ham and pea mac and cheese tonight. I’ll be pinning this one to try a bit later. I’m thinking with bacon and chicken my boys will love it.
Jann Olson says
Yum, Yum! I have got to try this Patti. Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.
Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop
Oh my, this looks so good! I love Mac-n-Cheese and this ups it to another level.
Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
Looks delish! Yum!! Thanks for sharing over at Table It!
That is a great variation! Thanks for sharing at HSH!
Wish you could send me some of that! Looks amazing on a chilly day like today.