This last Sunday was a tense day at our house. The Seattle Seahawks (MY team) were playing against the Dallas Cowboys (my friend Trish’s team). So what did I do when she texted to tell me about it? I invited her and her family over to watch the game with us and to share in a bowl of our special HOME of the 12’s CHILI! Of course I didn’t tell her our name for this family favorite.
So before game time I posted a picture of my chili on Instagram with the following message:
The 12th man chili is cookin’ and some friends are coming over to watch the game with us. Too bad they are Dallas fans & won’t get to eat any of my great chili! #gohawks #chili #iam12 #ilovefoot #homeofthe12s #wewillconvertyou
#ilovefoot? What was that type all about?
Anyhoo, the Hawks won, I felt compassion for my friend and we ate every last drop of this delicious chili! Actually I let them eat even before the game ended because that’s the kind of friend I am.
Home of The 12's Chili Recipe
Serve with crusty French bread and a green salad.
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 2 15-1/2 oz. cans kidney beans, undrained
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping T. + 1 t. chili powder
- 2 T. sugar
- 1 rounded t. ground cumin
- 1 t. crushed red pepper, more or less, to desired heat
- 3 T. Balsamic vinegar
- 2 rounded t. Better Than Bouillon concentrated beef base
- 2 swigs worcestershire sauce
- Optional on the side: Shredded cheddar cheese and dairy sour cream
- In a large Dutch oven brown the ground beef and ground pork. Add the undrained kidney beans and tomatoes, chopped onions, green pepper, garlic, chili powder, sugar, cumin, red pepper, vinegar, beef bouillon, and worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and simmer the chili for 1 hour, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls. Spoon shredded cheese and sour cream over each serving. Makes 6-8 main dish servings.
I hope you enjoy our family’s favorite chili recipe as much as we do. GO HAWKS!
TheDIYShowoff, LifeOnLakeshoreDrive, NiftyThriftyThings, SilverPenniesSundays, SundaysAtHome
Sharon H says
I’ll tell you what I REALLY love about this post…..your gorgeous picture!! Patti, you look phenomenal. Seriously.
Your chili looks good too, and while I make a pretty good chili myself….I might have to try this one 😉
Thank you for sharing, and what an ornery little thing you are!!!
hugs to you
Thanks! Doin’ this for Thanksgiving weekend when my kids will be with us watching football games. (Are the Seahawks plying? Must be.)
Maybe I’ll do a single batch for Hubby and me first. Ingredients look really yummy!
Jann Olson says
Sounds yummy Patti, and so nice of you to share with your friends! lol! Thanks for sharing the recipe with SYC.