A Fancy Christmas Chandy

17-Christmas Chandy 041Part of my Christmas decorating each year is to turn my dining room chandelier into A Fancy Christmas Chandy!  I  like to add embellishments to my chandelier, whether that be changing out the shades, adding fresh greenery from the yard or filling the cups that hold the “candles” with cranberries.  This year I decorated my chandy to match my gold and silver tablescape.

01-Christmas Chandy 001My chandelier has a story of it’s own.  It was the first birthday gift my husband bought for me after we moved into our first home . . .

02-Christmas Chandy 007I grew up in a wonderful old home in Seattle and my mother had a gigantic crystal chandelier (at least it seemed that way to me as a child).  I loved to lie on the floor on a sunny day and watch the prisms reflect rainbows all around the room.

03-Christmas Chandy 008So when Mr. OTN bought me a crystal chandelier of my own I was delighted.

04-Christmas Chandy 010My youngest daughter also delighted in my new chandy.  She would bring friends over to the house and if they had never been there before she would take them right into the dining room to show them the chandelier!

05-Christmas Chandy 011“Your house is SO fancy!”, they would say.  It wasn’t really, but the chandy made it feel that way.

06-Christmas Chandy 013My chandy has been with me for many years now and followed us to our current home.  When we first purchased this house it was more Tuscan in style and my youngest daughter (who was by then all grown up and in college) thought it was totally out of place.  I didn’t care and I WASN’T giving up my chandy!

07-Christmas Chandy 014Over the years we’ve lived here our home has gradually changed over to the style I’m most comfortable with.  I love sparkle . . . crystals, gold and silver.  I also love shabby pieces of furniture, burlap, and horns hung on my wall!  (You may have noticed that the chandelier chain is wrapped in burlap and gold ribbon!)

08-Christmas Chandy 019My chandy fits right in with the changes we’ve made here and my “Farmhouse Glam” style.

09-Christmas Chandy 020It also fits with in with my decorating on a budget way of doing things.

10-Christmas Chandy 022The iridescent Christmas balls are from our local Goodwill Christmas Store.

11-Christmas Chandy 023The gold wired ribbon has been around for years and used to be added to our Christmas tree . . . way back when we didn’t really have enough Christmas ornaments to fill a big tree.

12-Christmas Chandy 024Perhaps I sound materialistic to say I love my chandelier.  But it isn’t the chandelier so much as the feeling of happiness and well being it creates within me.  It reminds me of a very happy time in my childhood.

13-Christmas Chandy 025Last Spring I had a crafting party for some friends and at one point my friend Betty said, “Look at the walls, just like in Pollyanna!”

The sun was shining through the crystals and painting tiny rainbows all around the room as God smiled down on our day together.

17-Christmas Chandy 041I think this year’s Fancy Christmas Chandy may be my favorite one yet.  I may have a hard time taking it down.  Do you think it can remain as a part of my winter decor, even after the other Christmas decorations are put away?

18-Christmas Chandy 044Wishing you happy holiday memories to warm your heart this holiday season.

Blessings,

My Signature

I’ve been known to link up to the following great parties!!!
Sunday:
Monday:
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:

Comments

1. Nancy B. says

How beautiful your chandelier is, and beautifully decorated for Christmas! Those bobbles would be fitting for every winter day adding a bit of fun and joy! What a darling, and generous, hubby you have! You have made those same happy memories for your children too! Loving your chandelier as you do doesn’t seem materialistic. Loving it’s beauty and all the happiness in thought it gives and the benefits of light in such a lovely way .. both electric and in the refraction of the prisms is surely something to cherish :) What a treasure!

2. says

I love your fancy chandy! It looks amazing. I love any thing shiny sparkly, too.
    Leave it up as long as you like, it’s gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Patti

3. JaneEllen says

You sure scored with those gorgeous ball ornaments, so pretty, love the look of them. You did a great job of “dressing” your chandy. Can’t blame you for loving it, wanting to keep it at it’s prettiest. It’s hard after we take decorations for holidays down, things seem pretty blah, at least to me. I miss all the colors and the lights. Things look less cluttered but blah to me. Just takes me awhile. Plus I’m not in crazy creating mode for while. Look forward to Easter to have a good excuse to decorate and craft again. Course I could do super organizing and cleaning but why would I want to do that? lol
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas

4. says

I love your decorated chandy! Those irridescent balls are so pretty. I absolutely think you could leave it up for the winter. I love the story behind it too. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a Merry Christmas!

Hugs,
    Deborah

5. says

I’m so glad you shared this, it reminded me I meant to put ornaments on my kitchen table chandy! Yours is much more elaborate and beautiful than mine, though, it’s really gorgeous. I love your wall color, too. Thanks so much for sharing this at my History & Home party, I hope you keep coming back, each Tuesday :) Wishing you blessings ~ Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

6. says

Beautiful! I have to ask, where did you buy those pearly, silvery white Christmas bulbs? I need some of those for my tree! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

7. says

Patti, your chandy is beautiful and I loved the story! It’s easy to see why you love it so much. I think that it could easily be left for Winter décor. Kind of looks like snowballs. Thanks for sharing with SYC. Have a very Merry Christmas!
    hugs,
    Jann

8. says

I do love your chandy and the wonderful story behind it~I wish you had explained how you did the balls, I would love to try something like that, it looks fabulous! And definitely keep it up through the winter season, it is perfect for snowy winter days, and glamorous for New Years and Valentines Day!
    Jenna

9. Sheri says

LUV it, leave it up if it makes you happy! It is FABULOUS!!! It would be gorgeous for New Years with thoughts of bubbly, Valentines Day to change the ribbon to a soft pink or red, etc. Please explain how you arranged the ornaments on it like that perfectly…I especially LUV the memories it brings for you, do what makes your heart happy! What a special husband you have to help you bring back those memories. Merry Christmas! :)

10. says

Patti it looks gorgeous! I love the look of the glass balls hanging on the bottom of the chandy. And I love that story even more! Thank you for sharing!

11. says

Simply stunning Patti! You need to show us how you did the balls at the bottom so we can steal…borrow your inspiration ;-) Thank you for sharing it at the party this week! I am featuring it on the Facebook page today and have pinned it to the You’re Gonna Love It Tuesday board on Pinterest :-)

12. says

Patti, I love your fancy chandy! And, what a great story! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over tomorrow to check out your feature. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

13. says

Love. Love. Love! Your fancy chandelier is truly enchanting. I’m pinning it now to remember for next year! And yes….keep it up for a while. It’s white and white works for the whole month of January. [wink]

Wishing you and yours a blessed New Year!
    ~Diane

14. says

Oh, I am so glad I found you! was visiting over at cozy little house and saw your Chandy! I just love it! I too was given a beautiful brass Williamsburg chandy for my birthday from my wonderful husband when we bought our first home! And yes thirty years later it still hangs majestically over our dining room table…its only moved once from New Jersey to Pennsylvania. And I too decorate it for the holidays, yours is just beautiful! Mine has worn a bit, but it will remain over my table for as long as I’m here!
    love your blog! I will be visiting often! Happy new Year!
    Lois

15. says

Patti, I just found you on Redoux, and wow… breath~taking chandelier. You did such a lovely job! I decked out my chandelier for New Year’s with all clear, but I will have to remember how you did yours, what a different look! Thanks for sharing your lovely ideas~

16. says

You’ve been featured at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. The post is scheduled for 6:00 PM tonight. Thank you for sharing gorgeous chandilier!

Happy New Year